Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sheila’s Tasty Apple Cake

I remember when we were kids and the two kinds of available apples were red or green. I am amazed at how much fresher they taste in the winter and now seem to come in every variety possible. I think we used 4 different kinds of apples because I was like a kid in a candy store and wanted to taste every kind. While I like to bake I wouldn’t call myself a “baker” since I sometimes find myself being very liberal with quantities in my cooking – this recipe was just right, simple ingredients and very few steps.


4 cups apples, peeled and cored ~ 4-5 apples
2 cups flour
2 eggs
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup sugar
1 cup walnuts (toast these in the oven first)
½ cup oil *

* we substituted for apple sauce- for a low fat version as well. It was quite tasty but the cake came out much denser and sweeter. It felt more like a breakfast treat than dessert.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and slice apples.

Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately (besides apples and nuts). Combine wet and dry ingredients together then mix in walnuts and apples.















Pour batter into a 9x12 greased baking dish.















Bake at 350 degrees for ~ 45min or until top is crisp and knife comes out clean. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment