Thursday, February 24, 2011

Orange Zest Cake

It seems lately that I can’t leave the market without an 8-10lb bag of oranges. I think it’s just knowing that for so many years I lived away from here and citrus just didn’t taste like what I remembered it to be. Long story short, not a day goes by with out a piece of citrus in my house this winter. So I thought I would try some recipes with citrus instead of just snacking on it. This cake was a delicious fresh home reconstruction of a yellow cake mix I have grown up with (minus food coloring and artificial flavoring). I tried a mini loaf pan and cupcakes – but a bunt pan or square baking pan would work just as nice.

Ingredients:
½ cup butter, room temperature
1cup sugar
3 lrg. Eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
2 tbsp (about 1 orange worth) orange zest
1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour desired pan. Juice and zest one large orange, combine and set aside.

In a mixer, cream butter and sugar until lightly whipped. Beat in eggs one at a time and mix in vanilla.
In another bowl mix dry ingredients together. With the mixer on low add dry ingredients alternating with sour cream and orange juice slowly. Mix until well blended. Bake depending on pan size (45 min for bunt cake – 15/20 for cup cakes). It's ready when a toothpick comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment